Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Publishing World and Recession

I just read a few articles yesterday on the recession and the publishing industry. I never thought the big R would reach that far, but I was wrong. Here I was, so excited about possibly being published with a big publisher like HMH, and then come to find out that they put a freeze on acquisitions back at the end of 2008. I can't help but wonder whether the freeze came before or after I received the letter to revise and return for a second look.

Anyway, this all got me thinking about my original idea of self publishing, and not in hard copy. I have the means, the ability and the software to publish my own e-books and sell them as digital, so I suppose I may do that. I mean, I can sell them for a lot less than traditional publishing houses and give people the entertainment they want for less. Schools can access the digital version for reading online and sharing with a class. I don't know. I guess between now and summer I may be working on that. I'm getting quite the repertoire of books finished and I just started another series featuring a third grade class clown, Bobby J and his antics, akin to Junie B. Jones, but older character and all taking place at or near school.

It is the way of the world, change, and this recession is making many changes. I just hope my digital bookstore will be successful. I mean, really, how many households have computers these days and how many kids are more proficient at using them than adults?

We'll see what happens, I guess.

GP:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment and for following my blog! I'll read your comment the next time I enter a new blog. I hope you are enjoying my books!